Tuesday, September 28, 2010

27 September 2010, Monday

Odd. For the past three days, I’ve found myself eating less and less. All of the joy has gone out of it. This food is functional, but it’s not beautiful. In a world in which people are hungry, what a luxury (what a sin?) it is to want food that’s beautiful! But I also find myself divorced this week from the social aspects of food, aspects that are far more important than aesthetics—food as emblem of family, community, nation, food as nurture, intimacy, friendship, celebration.

My husband and I are still managing to eat our morning and evening meals together, in spite of having to do a perpetual dance around each other in our tiggy-winkle kitchen as we each make our own breakfasts, our own suppers.

Breakfast
Toast
Peanut butter
Green tea

Colleagues at work asked how things were going.

If I brought in a bottle of homemade wine, would you be able to drink it?

Tempting.

May I share my lunch with you?

Very, very kind of everyone, but technically, this week, I don’t have colleagues.

Lunch
Tuna salad
Macaroni salad
Apple
Green tea

My husband picked me up after work. What could we do that didn’t involve food and drink?

We walked the St. Jacobs antique stores.

Dinner
Spaghetti
Spaghetti sauce
Cayenne pepper
Oregano
Cheese
Green tea

A certain sameness. And I’m getting a headache from too much green tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment